Mar 16, 2018

Shine On


Scrapbook Layout created for Vicki Boutin DT -  SHINE ON  -





Hello everyone!  Nathalie with you today bringing you a new project using some of Vicki’s new products.  As soon as the new watercolor set and the watercolor paint brushes arrived at my doorstep, I knew they will be featured in my next project.   I love watercolors, and these are just like a rainbow of possibilities.


One of the best ways to showcase how easy it is to work with watercolor is to use them to color a cut file.  This particular cut file is available for free at Scrapbook Nerd; and I wanted to use the watercolors to add and detail each of the flowers in the cut out.


If you have never used this type of watercolor (gouache) then you are in for a treat.  These little tubes are highly pigmented color, so a little bit of color will go a long way.   I love using a palette whenever I work with this type of watercolor, since you can contain the color in one spot, and when the color dries, it is easier to reconstitute with a few drops of water.



I chose to play with a variation of different shades of pink to color the flowers in the cut out.   I started with some of the red, and added a few sprinkles of yellow, brown, white to get the colors used in the flowers.  Then worked the stems and leaves in a similar pattern




The new brush set is perfect to color and detail your projects.   I chose to use the finest one to add color to the smallest buds at the end of the stems in the cut out, and to detail a few of the lines at the end of the leaves, and stems. 



Once I lay the colored cut outs on white cardstock, and realized they formed a nice curve when joined together.  The idea of creating a break on the page quickly formed, and I chose to use one of the foundation papers to create the background where the picture would be place.   I used a bit of art crayons in light green to add a soft watercolor look to the top corner of the page.  Once it dried, I used the flower stencil, the new stencil brushes to add a bit of detail to the watercolor background.   I love this technique!  It is one of the easiest ways to add mixed media to a background.



Using a pencil, I lightly drew the curve that the flowers formed on the B side of the Shine Brightly paper, and cut it out.    Then used different papers from the 12x12 paper pad to back some of the flowers and leaves.   Some vellum was also used to back a few of the flowers, so that it softens the look of the cut out.




Once the cut Shine Brightly paper was glued to the foundation paper, a bit of foam adhesive was used to attach the cut out to the page so that it adds dimension.   Just a few small details – butterflies- from the die cuts and paper clips were used to add a bit more interest to the cut out.  Since there is so much detail in the flowers, a small cluster was also created at one of the corners of the picture.   The stickers in the collection are perfect to add lots of sentiment to a page.  Just love the stickers in the All The Good Things collection.



The glitter of the word foam thickers are the ideal way to bring some shine to the page.    I love how these thickers bring enough shine to the page while conveying the sentiment of the layout.
I love how this page turned out.   The new watercolor set and paintbrushes are just a new medium that will soon have you looking for ways to use them in all your projects.   I hope this project serves as inspiration, here a small video that showcases how the page came together:


That is all for me, as always do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions, and don’t forget to check out Vicki’s new releases, they are to die for!

XO




Materials Used:
All The Good Things Collection:
12x12 paper pad
Shine Brightly paper
On the Edge Paper Embellishments
Rub-ons
Ephemera – Icons
Cardstock Stickers
Finishing Embellishments
Foam word Glitter Thickers
Rotary Stamp
Watercolor stickers

Mixed Media Mediums:
Gesso
Art Crayon set – cool, neutral and warm set
Stencil set #2
Stencil Brushes
Watercolor set
Paint Brush set
Spritz bottle
Water brushes







No comments:

Post a Comment